Jan 20, 2009

I’d rather be full of myself than full of excuses

These long base mile days are getting harder and harder the older I get. Yesterday it took every ounce of energy and willpower in my body to turn the pedals over for a complete 5 hours. And even then, the last hour was futile.

Actually, all 5 hours were futile. I knew I was in trouble in the first hour as I climbed to the base of Oak Glen from home and my legs just wouldn’t respond. I thought they’d eventually get into the groove, but it never happened. Maybe that’s what sets us apart from everyone else. Even on those days when riding our bike is the last thing we feel like doing, we do it anyway. And we do it for 5 hours, in the wind.

If it’s hard for you to understand just how bad it was yesterday and how hard it was to overcome the boredom and discomfort, here’s an example: My legs were as full of aches and pains yesterday as I am full of myself today. Now you get it.

No comments: